Monday, July 25, 2011

finishing off the fireplace

You may remember that our fireplace originally looked like this:fireplace before

and then for awhile it looked like this…


We decided we wanted to have a simple mantel, something that was modern, finished looking, and pulled the place together.  simple – nothing fancy.  I’m not sure why it took us so long to put it together, because it really was a simple project…although it did take 2 tries to get it right.

take 1: we attached the trim first, then primed and painted, then put caulking on it to smooth out some of the dents and knots, and then tried sanding it back down to paint again.  needless to say, this wasn’t the best approach – and luckily our supplies were cheap because into our scrap pile they went.  our caulk was old and never dried, sanding after priming was a major fail, and trying to do anything on the uneven surface from attaching the trim first was just hopeless.




take 2:  no pictures this time – I just wanted to get the thing finished.  this time we did it in the right order. 

  • step 1: sand
  • step 2: prime
  • step 3: paint
  • step 4: attach the trim
  • step 5: paint the trim
  • step 6: attach directly to the brick using liquid nails!

and it is FINISHED!


No comments: