Sunday, April 22, 2012

A twist on mac’n’cheese

Kraft mac’n’cheese has been a staple Saturday lunch for us over the past several years.  We always seem to be busy with something, and opening up that sweet little blue box makes a quick and satisfying lunch.

I decided to experiment in the kitchen a bit to attempt to make a vegan variety of our old staple. After perusing several recipes across many various blogs, I came up with the following:

SONY DSC

Mix together the following in a blender:

  • 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 sweet potato (about 1 cup), peeled and cooked (I peeled my sweet potato, wrapped in a damp paper towel and threw in the microwave for 4-5 minutes.  After microwaving, I dumped it into the blender with the rest of ingredients and mixed it right up)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 can (drained and rinsed) white beans (I used Great Northern)
  • 3 tablespoons stone ground mustard
  • fresh ground black pepper to taste (I probably used about 1/8 tsp)
  • 4 tablespoons margarine
  • 1/4 c olive oil
  • 1/4 cup water (adjust as necessary to get consistency right)

While making the sauce, put pasta of choice in boiling water.  Once cooked through, pour sauce over hot pasta and serve!

I really liked this version of mac’n’cheese, but Joel wasn’t quite sold on it.  I think the mustard flavor was too strong.  Lucky for me, we have some leftovers for lunch tomorrow and extra sauce to go on cauliflower later this week!

SONY DSC

No comments: