Monday, February 28, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

I make some pretty awesome pumpkin bread.  It rivals the stuff sitting in the Starbucks pastry case (well…actually it beats it – I don’t really like the pumpkin seeds the are on top of the Starbucks stuff).  The only problem is my normal recipe calls for at least 3 cups of sugar.  I only like to make my recipe once or twice a year because of that – but I LOVE pumpkin bread, so I’m now in search of a better recipe.

Attempt #1.  This is good, but not good enough to make again.  The texture is too gooey.  We’ll see what it tastes like on Day 2.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (about 1/2 a 29 oz can)
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg

I poured the batter into an 8x11 baking dish and baked at 350.

SONY DSC

40 minutes later I ended up with a very dense and doughy pumpkin bread.

SONY DSC

Still steamy from the oven – it was delicious!  Hopefully it makes good breakfasts during the week.

SONY DSC

No comments: